Friday, January 23, 2009

Sweet Pork Heaven

All right, folks.
So I love Costa Vida's sweet pork, but I hate paying obscene amounts of money for it. So yesterday I decided I would look up knock off recipes on line and try a few out.... SUCCESS!! And the best part is the easier recipe tasted the awesomest. woot WOOT!



So if any of you are looking to try one out, here is what you need:

3-4 lbs pork shoulder butt
1 Cup Favorite salsa (I'm a wimp so I got the extra mild, but you can go as high as medium; I would recommend blending it so it isn't super chunky; I used pace which worked really well with taste)
1 1/2-2 Cups brown sugar (I went closer to two)

Put everything in the crock pot and slow cook it for all day (I didn't have as much time so I cooked it on high for probably 3 hours and then put it on low for another two)

Shred it and enjoy!
I used their nacho idea and used a foil pie pan. I put in white corn tortilla chips, put black beans on (heated up), put the pork on that then a cheese blend. Put it in the oven on broil for a minute until the cheese is melting. Then I put sour cream and home-made guacamole on top. You can also make a pico de gallo for it, but I'm not a huge tomato fan.

Anyway, there it is...and it is TASTY!

I'm going to figure out the dressing and the rice for the salad next...I'll keep you "posted"....
Get it? Posted?? Like blog posting??? HAHAHAHA :)

10 comments:

Lindsay Riggs said...

That is the recipe I use and it is yummy. I have the recipe for the ranch dressing and the rice but they have too many ingredients so I just stick with the meat. It's yummy to make burros with it when you get the tortillas that you cook yourself. I wish I could just afford to go to Costa Vida at least once a week.

Amanda said...

I will be trying this. I think I might know someone with the ranch dressing, I'll find out and if so get it to you.

Amy O'Neill said...

Sounds yummy!! My friend has a blog with all the recipes to put together the sweet pork salad from Costa Vida. I just bought all the ingredients to try it all out, but haven't tried it yet. Here's the link... http://4tblspnoflove.blogspot.com/

taryn said...

I love things that you can just throw in the crock pot, and I love this even more because sweet pork is amazing. My sister has the recipe for the cafe rio pork and its delish!

Shauna said...

Popular recipes! I emailed you more :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy. I can't wait to try it!!

mamabear said...

This looks really yummy, I think i might try it!
Thanks
Karen

Mrs. KIR said...

you said "butt"

Lynne said...

That sounds so good - I think I'll try it this weekend!!

Scottie and Angie said...

YOU HAVE A BLOG i LOVE IT!!!!!! This is angie by the way.
I am excited to keep in touch through the blogging world.
Angie